track gauge for re-sleepering

A forum to discuss Track and Earth Works
JCROUSE
No rank

track gauge for re-sleepering

Post by JCROUSE » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi. I have bought a pile of second-hand track and much of it needs new sleepers. Does anyone know where I can buy a steel track gauge (I guess that is what it is called) to hold the rails in gauge while I put the new screws in, pleased? I saw one ages ago on EBay, but no longer there. Thank you.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Re: track gauge for re-sleepering

Post by Dave Noble » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi J C, and welcome.
If you or a friend have access to a lathe, it is easy to knock up a gauge, the usual thing is to turn two grooves in a piece of inch or so diameter aluminium. Obviously they should be 5" apart, and sized to suit your rail. Alternatively, saw and file two slots in a steel plate.
The gauge is 5", but the Sinsheim track (a huge portable track in Germany) is almost 5 1/8 and works fine, which makes me think that a wooden gauge made to a tad over 5" would do if used with care.
You don't say what type of rail you have, so be aware that black steel has tolerances on it's size and will of course rust down in size, and that even the drawn aluminium rail varies slightly. Some of us GL5 members bought some second hand track a couple of years ago and I made a bender to suit it. I've just bought some new rail, and it doesn't fit, so if you buy a commercial gauge there is a chance that it may be tight or slack.