Illuminate Lamps

General Forum to discuss anything you like. No religious topics please.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Illuminate Lamps

Post by Keith1500 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Firstly, I must say I enjoyed the working party on Saturday at Brents. The team(s) certainly sorted out a few bits which needed doing. Hope Sunday was equally good. The trackwork has fanastic potential and we should make use of it as best as possible.

Those who were there Sat may have seen Johnny's loco head lamp. A very simple but impressive bit of work too. The LED was a nice warm colour and the whole thing running on two small batteries means it is self-contained. I did suggest "an article" for Turnout along with the source of the LED. However, given the running season is approaching perhaps a few choice photos on here and part numbers would do?

What say Johnny?

Keith
Jonny Ward
Engine Driver

Re: Illuminate Lamps

Post by Jonny Ward » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Yes, it was a brilliant weekend, thoroughly enjoyable.

Erm, well if you insist Keith....

Having followed the thread on night running, I thought it was about time to sort out a pair of headlamps, and a tail lamp (Even if I can't put them on the engine, I've now fitted a full compliment of lamp irons to the back of my riding truck!). I'm affraid being alittle short on time at present, and not wanting to waste what little time was available, rather than build my lamps from scratch, I bought all three from Miniature Railway Supply (I know, I know. I'm a heathen...). Although I wouldn't describe them as cheap, they're not too bad looking. A dusting of spray paint, glue in lense's having removed the silver backing, and that was that.

The inards are designed to be a push fit in the lamp (They have open base's). They are little more than an off cut of strip board with a 3mm warm white LED and resistor shoved in together with two battery's, and a little brass strip to make up the other three sides. All done in the space of an evening.

The LED's came from Handsignalman off of Ebay (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Handsignalman-LEDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and are 3mm warm white type, 20 for £4.75 including postage and resistors for running at 12v. I substitued some different resistor's which I had knocking about, as these things are only running at 3v. Batteries are type CR927 and can be found again on Ebay. Many different vendors sell them, mine came from Rapidbatteries, and were £2.49 for ten including postage.

I suppose writing article's isn't as difficult as I thought.
DSCF4484.1.jpg
The nogin. I suppose I ought to call it the vessel.
DSCF4484.1.jpg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 6194 times
DSCF4482.1.jpg
My two headlamps, and tail lamp.
DSCF4482.1.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 6194 times
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks Jonny,

I am ordering some bits this week to give it a go.

ps have sent you e-mail.

Cheers
Keith

Keith
Jonny Ward
Engine Driver

Post by Jonny Ward » Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Just to correct myself, the batteries are LR626, not CR927 as stated above (They were for another project!). The good news is these can be had from Rapidbatteries off of Ebay for £1.99 for 10, including postage.