Wagon plate info

General Forum to discuss anything you like. No religious topics please.
noggin
Cleaner

Wagon plate info

Post by noggin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi all,Im need some wagon plates to finish my wooden p o wagon,The wagon is a Glos Carrage and Wagon works wagon early 1900s the photo has 3 large big G plates on it,All the plates have different wording between the G,Now the plate making people tell me they only have info for 2 plates and think that the third must be a transfer, can anybody give me some more info on Glos wagon plates ,I would be very gratefull Garry
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Re: Wagon plate info

Post by Alan Wood » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 am

Hi garry , all the infomation is avalible from the glouster wagon archive in glouster libaray , also there is a lot of info in the glouster wagon book or ask peter robinson at peters plates.
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for that Alan, I have got a couple of glos wagon books,I can clearly see that the plates are differant and that there are 3 types, but i could not read them clearly, Ill try glos museum thanks for that Im only 10 miles away :| did not think of that. Many thanks Garry
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:11 pm

I remember catching a conversation that Dave Capol was having about the "G" plates, but I haven't seen him at a GL5 event in a long time. You could try contacting Peter and see if he knows or has artwork as Alan says, see: http://www.petersplates.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks Richard, Ill try petes plates, Just thought there would be more info out there,but even the www has very little considering how big glos wagon works once was. Garry
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 am

One plate would be the owners plate, lettered
Gloucester, Railway Carriage and, Wagon Company Limited,Owners, xxxxx
commas denoting a new line, the xxxx of course was their ownership number which would not correspond to the wagon number painted on the side. This for a wagon on hire.
One plate would be for repairs
For, repairs advise,the, Wagon Company, Gloucester
The other plate I think would be the builder's plate, lettered something like
Gloucester, Railway, Carriage & Wagon, Company Ltd, Builders, Gloucester.
Photographs suggest that the wording changed slightly over time, and I think the lack of the word Carriage in the title may represent an earlier wagon.
All lettering would have been in capitals, but I've not done that here because it would look like I was shouting at you!
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Dave, Thankyou thats what i was looking for, I have been looking at all my wagon books all weekend with an eyeglass,I could not work out the wording on the third plate the repair plate, Now ive read your post all the wording makes sence, :D Now im a happy bunny,I can get them made for my wagon to match the picture i have so many thanks Garry
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 pm

P S Thanks for not shouting at me
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 am

Hi All, Another question please, To finish my wagon completely i need a couple of waon label clips as used on wooden private owner wagons,Can i ask if anyone knows who sells them, or what do others use. Ive benn thinking of getting a batch done in etched brass, but if i go down that road ill have lots so does anyone on here need some(if i go down that road) Thankyou garry
mikeg
Engine Driver

Post by mikeg » Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I used to get my label clips from Bill Hall but as far as I am aware that source has dried up. If you get some etched I would certainly be in the market (As I suspect a lot of other folk will be)
richardw
Engine Driver

Post by richardw » Fri May 10, 2013 2:15 pm

It would be worth contacting Peter Robinson as I believe he took over Bill Halls stock etc when Bill retired and may still have some http://www.petersplates.co.uk/petersplates/Home.html
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Thankyou for that chaps. ill try petes plates and let you know the outcome. Garry