Signal box, looking for ideas

General Forum to discuss anything you like. No religious topics please.
Scrat
Fat Controller

Signal box, looking for ideas

Post by Scrat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi folks,

my German signal box is showing signs of age. It was made of wood just to cover the electric bits of the interlocking. Now I am looking for something different. As most of my stock is British, I need a matching signal box. Did anyone ever build one to scale? I would prefer bricks as wood deteriorates rarther quickly here (even more quickly if you use the wrong type of wood like I did).
The compartment containing the electric stuff is about 30 x 30 x 25 cm. This should go into the signal box. I will also need a fold-away roof (-section) to operate the switches for Power, etc.
Can anyone give me an idea on the main diensions ?

This one looks quite suitable: (the one marked "the other end of the scale")
http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/paul/bu ... age20.html

(found on Rideonrailways.co.uk)

Best regards

Holger
hudrail
Cleaner

Re: Signal box, looking for ideas

Post by hudrail » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi
Buy a book and scale one to inch and 1/6 then you can get it correct or am I saying the obvious . So many people make approximate models that are totally incorrect e.g - Class31 Deltic and all these other approximate models , the person admitted he scaled up the Class 31 from a Hornby Model and it looks like it , never got a scale drawing and now the worlds full of awfull 31`s Tread on all you can squash them into the dirt . You can buy books on all railway subjects now days
Brent
Scrat
Fat Controller

Re: Signal box, looking for ideas

Post by Scrat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:12 pm

hudrail wrote:Tread on all you can squash them into the dirt .
Brent
Hi Brent,

I am not sure if I understand you right. I tried to find something ont he internet but it is not easy to get the relevant books here in Germany. Can you recommend any book that might contain what I am looking for?