A few thoughts to consider

General Forum to discuss anything you like. No religious topics please.
Jordan Leeds
Porter

A few thoughts to consider

Post by Jordan Leeds » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Has thought been given by the association to holding a library of published designs for waggons & coaches? Several other society's have something along these lines in place that operate on a very successful basis and it would help encourage newcomers to the hobby to get involved and perhaps provide a useful talking point for us who are building things already!

Just a thought as a relative newcomer myself.

Jordan leeds
Ballan Baker
Engine Driver

Re: A few thoughts to consider

Post by Ballan Baker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi Jordan, you seem to want to run before you can walk. Can I suggest you join a local club ( model engineers) and talk to people, also do what most of us have done over the years, buy Model Engineer or /and Engineering in Miniature. as well as back numbers and you will find an awful lost of information to digest. Experience with Locos can be gained including driving by becoming involved with a club. Many people are willing to assist at club level. Regards Ballan
Jonny Ward
Engine Driver

Post by Jonny Ward » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Jordan.

As someone who has built so many wagons (ok, two partly built opens) I'm almost not qualified to comment. Where does one look for designs? There aren't many published designs (Doug Hewson's and Dave Noble's efforts excepted) in 1 1/16th inch scale, and as far as I know no reference library of designs that have been published. But remember in the world of model engineering we're a minority interest. As Ballan suggested, back issues of EIM and Model Engineer are a good place to look, as are the back issues of our own club magazine, Turnout. The best starting point is to following in other builders footsteps, scaling down from works drawings or scale up from the scale drawings of the model railway world (Beware the inaccuracies of other people's work though!). Another approach is to go out and measure the real thing yourself, if it still exists.

As for approaching you're local model engineering club, it very much depends on the interests of the members of individual clubs. My nearest club is very much of the "I've built an engine, now I'm going to spend an hour or two tail chasing on a long viaduct" club. I became a member for a couple of years, took my engine down a couple of times and did passenger haulage for them, but its not where my interest's lie. There's another club not far away where, although the only 5 inch track is on a viaduct, have some members who have built many wagons (Indeed, a few GL5 members are members there. I really ought to join them...), so are more inclined to be helpful possessing similar interests.
Jordan Leeds
Porter

Post by Jordan Leeds » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi Ballan- I have been a member of clubs in the past and i am afraid to say that they proved less than helpful with members being rather dismissive of things suggested because they do not lay well with the model engineers rose tinted view. Working in the heritage industry has taught me a lot and i already take the published ME press .

GL5 for me is the ability to have something smaller to move around having a tinkerbell and other engines in 7.25" gauge The suggestion was more perhaps why dont we look at a "Project " in the same guise as the Guage One association has albeit wagon based and affordable to those who are new to the hobby and perhaps to encourage growth too
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Post by Alan Wood » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Jordan , GL5 as a club has tried joint venture projects ,and the problem is that people are all for the idea but when it comes to putting there piece of the project in it is not always so forthcoming and as with the milk tankers one person is left to do all the work . as for the list of designs Dave Alaxander did start to compile a list of suppliers both for drawings and castings . so if there is something spersific you require im sure if you ask here someone will point you in the right direction.