Doug Hewson's wagon book

General Forum to discuss anything you like. No religious topics please.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Doug Hewson's wagon book

Post by Dave Noble » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 pm

The Historical Model Railway Society (HMRS) is pleased to announce it is taking pre-orders for “Constructing 5" Gauge Wagons” by Doug Hewson.

The Historical Model Railway Society (HMRS), until the 31st March 2017 is taking pre-orders for “Constructing 5" Gauge Wagons” by Doug Hewson at £30.00 plus postage of £6.50 for the UK. Email "treasurer@hmrs.org.uk" including contact details to enable the pre-orders to be processed (or see hmrs.org.uk). After the 31st March this book will cost more, if not over 50% more.

Doug, is a well know 5" rolling stock modeller and also layout builder in smaller scales. Doug’s philosophy is wherever possible to build models in the same way as the prototypes were built. Using 5" rolling stock Doug provides readers with detailed descriptions of items such as brake gear, underframe construction and the wagon door operating mechanisms, information which is needed by modellers whatever scale they are working in, as well as those restoring full size vehicles.

The book covers open wagons, mineral wagons, vans and brake vans, mainly those built between 1923 and the end of the traditional wagon on British Railways. It has 320 pages, over 900 prototype, model and construction photographs, 26 tables of prototype wagon information and many diagrams in the text. Additionally there are some 35 separate A2 and A3 drawings printed on 'plastic paper' for durability.

The deadline for very special pre-order price of £30.00 plus postage is 31st March 2017 - pre-order today exclusively via emailing "treasurer@hmrs.org.uk" (including your contact details)! Publication expected May 2017.

Press Release - Doug Hewson Wagon  book (2).jpg
Press Release - Doug Hewson Wagon book (2).jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
Expected Specification of the book:
Published: May 2017.
Binding type: Case bound.
Plates: 936.
Line Drawings: 27.
Number of separate A3 and A2 drawings printed on 'plastic paper': 36.
Tables: 26
Format: A4 portrait
ejparrott
Cleaner

Re: Doug Hewson's wagon book

Post by ejparrott » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks for posting Dave, emailing now!
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Christmas has come early, and what a wonderful book it is too. Arrived at my door today.
DHwagonbook.JPG
DHwagonbook.JPG (42.9 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
Plate 7.171 is incorrectly attributed to me however, whilst I made a BR sand wagon that one looks like a commercial one, mine has the pressed ribs from Plate 7.125
Scrat
Fat Controller

Post by Scrat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Still waiting for mine.
I guess that shipping to Germany will take about a week longer.