More boiler fur!!

General Forum to discuss anything you like. No religious topics please.
Eric Penn
Porter

More boiler fur!!

Post by Eric Penn » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Having just caught up on the Boiler Fur topic, I am wondering if anyone has or does use Calgon in the loco water. By the look of the TV adverts the tubes should be bright and shiney.

Have just ths week returned to the steam fold after several years building and running electric locos.

Eric Penn
Frits
Engine Driver

Calgon?

Post by Frits » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Hello Eric,

Calgon? I don't know if its such a good idea.
Remember that a washingmachine only heats up to 90 degrees Celsius and there is no pressure and a little bit foamy is also no problem. :lol:

But in a steamboiler the temperature is about 165 degrees, high pressure and the engineer don't like foam on the water at all. :twisted:

If you want to try it out for us, we like to hear your results.

Best regards

Frits
Build it perfekt, but keep it simpel.
Eric Penn
Porter

Calgon

Post by Eric Penn » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi Frits

Since posting the original message I have been investigating the www on the subject and found a paper on the Water Treatment subject by Ray Parsons at http://www.modeleng.org/articles/hwater03.pdf. Makes interesting reading. As you say don't use Calgon :oops:

Do you go to the Oignies meeting in France???

Regards
Eric
Frits
Engine Driver

Boiler fur

Post by Frits » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:59 am

Hi Eric,

Now that's an understandable and clear article about our boilerwater. :idea:
Thanks for publising. But next time check the url out in your posting. Then you will find out that there is a dot to much at the end. :(

No, I don't go to the Oignies meeting. In fact, I have never heard of it. Where and when does it take place? Do they have a website?

Frits
Build it perfekt, but keep it simpel.