Mobile Cranes

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
ahernem
No rank

Mobile Cranes

Post by ahernem » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 am

Does anyone have access to drawings or any other documents covering cranes, especially the smaller ones, even hand-cranes like the Bluebell SR 12Ton, please.
Mike
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Re: Mobile Cranes

Post by Richard Phillips » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Not specifically, but I did come across this book title the other day and wondered if it might be useful.

"Carlisle's Crane Makers: The Cowans Sheldon Story (Cumbria Heritage v. 2)", Alan Earnshaw

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 16046.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave Harris
Engine Driver

Post by Dave Harris » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Re your question about sources of information on mobile cranes. You could try the Great Western Society to see if they have any information on the crane they own. I believe i am correct in saying that the Swindon record Office have the drawings for this crane and the last quote i saw for a copy of these was i believe about £80. There is a very good book on the subject of Railway Steam Cranes by John Brownlie which was published by the author in about 1973 and does appear on the s/h market from time to time. If you are a member of the Historical Model railway Society (HMRS) you may find that they may have some drawings of railway cranes in thier collection of drawings
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 pm

I bought Brownlie's book years ago, hoping it would be help with model building, but it's hasn't. There's a huge amount of information, some photos and a few drawings, but nothing like what you would need to build a model, it's more a survey of crane development. If you come acrooss one cheap it may be worth a read out of interest, but don't pay a lot hoping it will help you with building a model.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Wed May 02, 2012 11:44 am

Just to note that Peter Tatlow's book "Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 1" is now out (and a reasonable discount at Amazon), which I've had a look at and seems very good. There was also an article fairly recently in the Great Western Journal - probably from material that went into the book.
Stvy
No rank

Post by Stvy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi,

This is my first post since joining. I have been a member for a few months. I am not sure if this thread has long since gone cold. However I would recommend the original poster contact the folks at:

http://www.bdca.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a wealth of information there.

I myself am building a 5" gauge model of the GWR no 2 crane made by Ransomes & Rapier. I have acquired a part finished model and have therefore stopped work on my own model which was at a very early stage and will concentrate efforts to complete the model within the next few years.

http://www.bdca.org.uk/gwr2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although it is a little larger crane than the smaller cranes that are the stated goal of the original poster.

If there is any interest I would be happy to post some pictures of the crane on the forum.

Thanks,
Steve
hudrail
Cleaner

Post by hudrail » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi
Brian Camps has made a 5" Cowan and Sheldon crane which is a huge Hornby type crane and has made a full train to go with it . There is a photo in an old G L 5 mag . There is also video of it on my complimentary video being run by radio control ! Do post photos of your crane as we would like to see what you are up to
Brent