Rivets - Large and Small

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Rivets - Large and Small

Post by Keith1500 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm

From LMS Milk Tank 2...
Dave Harris wrote:Keith,

Thanks for the rivet details, and yes...how else does one describe a rivet.

It was the larger diameter head that foxed me, having seen similar on a couple of chassis at exhibitions last year.

I have a 'Toad' brakevan chassis kit which im trying to sort out, its going very slowly as I suffered a stroke earlier in the year which has given me some mobility/dexterity and short term memory problems, which are improving but combined with a cold garage workshop have slowed things right down...but hey, I will get there eventually. Keep up the good work , along with Richard, it gives us all encouragement

All the best for Christmas and the new year

Dave

Dave,
Re: Rivets

This photo might be of use to you. This my Toad under construction Feb 2004. There are two types of rivet being used. The larger head rivet with a shallow profile are mainly on the chassis/frame of the wagon while standard rivets are being used for the bodywork inc the stantions. the body is held in place temporarily using 10BA round heads. These can be seen by buffer stocks and may give you a reference for the size of the rivets etc.

I may have some useful pictures for the Toad. let me kow if your get stuck.

Keith
Dave Harris
Engine Driver

Re: Rivets - Large and Small

Post by Dave Harris » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Keith,

Many thanks for puttting up the photo of the Toad. Excellent picture and I can now see the differences in the rivets. It certainly gives encouragement! I have a collection of pics of some 'Toads' at Cranmore, Forest of Dean and Didcot and your earlier pics in 'Turnout' to work from.
Many thanks. Dave