Long Wheel Base Brake Van

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Long Wheel Base Brake Van

Post by Keith1500 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 am

In preparation for this coming Gilling I have been doing a bit of revision on the make up of some of the freights.

A long wheel-based brake van should be used for express freight (up to 60mph) and semi fitted freight (up to 45mph).

Does a GWR toad constitute a long wheel base brake van?
richardw
Engine Driver

Re: Long Wheel Base Brake Van

Post by richardw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:10 pm

What is the wheelbase of a Toad?

In Bob's 'Idiots Guide' to working the yards he refers to short wheelbase being nominally 10' and long wheelbase being nominally 16' now there is obviously some leeway on that as regions vary in their designs.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 pm

A Toad is 16' I guess the GWR knew what they were doing eh? albeit they didn’t have a veranda at both ends!

I have been reading Bob's guide. hence the question plus I thought it might get a few people thinking about the formation of goods trains. It’s a good guide with lots of ueful info in there too. Doug has produced some intersting notes too. Never-the-less, as much as I might try I still find the yard time tables hard work. perhaps its just me.
richardw
Engine Driver

Post by richardw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 pm

These things are all relative, when the prototype of my GER brake van was introduced it was the long wheelbase version at 10'6" compared to the previous short wheelbase version at 9' but that was back in the 19th century and in the 1950's era Gilling diagraming it is definitely short.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:58 pm

I'll see your van gets to work in a pick up goods or two then. Talking of which here is a sweet photo and taken not too far from Gilling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7830244760/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if the first four wagons (the mineral, and the three vans are for Levisham, the next four perhaps for Grosmont and etc.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:42 am

Are you working on/re-doing some of the timetables Keith? (nice photo by the way, that's what they should look like!) Hope you get it right or there will be some flustered yard staff!

By scotch goods time I'm about ready to throw the towel in with stock being hooked out of made up rakes - go easy on the formations at the end of the day! Make it into some kind of general pick-up to each yard with more than one engine? I have no idea how they used to do it in the prototype, I don't suppose they had to worry about clearing up after 3 days!

Looks like we'll have to worry about getting the right brake van on now... still, what the point of doing it if you don't do it properly? "Bob's guide" sounds like an interesting read! :-)

I'd like to see a period BR steel mineral train - but that's only because I've made a few, but a feature of so many 1950's coal frieght were rakes of diagram 108 vehicles.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:53 am

No ! not working on re-doing tible table. I wouldnt know where to start for one! I am hoping to be able to put a bit of time in the yards this year and just want to make up some good looking trains. Hence the revision.
I know last year there was a lot of stock and because of it, it seemed that a lot of key items like parcels, milk tanks etc got stuck in the bunker simply because they couldnt be founf or got at in time.

So, just a quest to see realistic formations running and the right stock being used where possible no comprimises and running nicely to time so we all have a good weekend. We'll see.

Yes, it will be good to see a steel mineral train rolling along. perhaps drop the odd body in to an empty as per the 1955 film Lady Killers !

I'll send you a copy of Bobs notes. Are you attending this Aug?