Milk Tank photos

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Milk Tank photos

Post by Keith1500 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:44 pm

I found these photo on an excellent Flickr website.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/"

Quite a good collection of intersting photos. These milk tank ones caught my eye.

Vauxall. Note the pipework and also the covers are open on the tanks and a hose in place for washing?

and West Ealing

Morden with a small Hunslet Yardmaster shunter

Keith
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Re: Milk Tank photos

Post by Richard Phillips » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am

Good photos, but I still don't think I've ever seen a colour photo of any of the pre-BR era milk tanks - we may never know what those colourful private-owner liveries really were!
alan w
Porter

Post by alan w » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:02 am

These pics remind me of my days as railway fireman at Willesden M.P.D. in the early 1960's. Carlisle Milk Trains were relieved by 1A men just outside Willesden shed by the Willesden A sidings on the up goods line, frequently I have been the fireman in the 1A crew relieving probably Carlisle men. Sadly with the demise of steam traction the Loco was sometimes a Stanier Duchess or a Jubilee on a train of six or so milk tanks for U.Dairies Mitre siding at the top of north pole bank. After the train had been disposed of the same Loco would go light engine to Euston to pick up empty coaches for cleaning and servicing at stonebridge park carriage sidings, quite a demeaning task for such majestic express Locomotives.
Alan Whitehouse the A1 fireman from the 1A Shed
Bob Willis
Porter

Post by Bob Willis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

As the tanks have been unloaded presumably the hoses are for cleaning out before the remaining milk can go off!!!

There is some corrospondance in the February 'Railway Modeller' about milk train workings in the London area and also the statement that milk tanks were loaded from a valve at the bottom to avoid the milk frothing.
Bob Willis
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Filling from the bottom to avoid frothing makes sense, but my LMS drawing shows a 4" BSP inlet on the top as well as the manhole. The bottom connections are marked as 3" milk cock.

Perhaps the inlet (that's the word used on the drawing) was piped to the bottom internally. But why 4". If a 3" connection was enough to empty the tank under gravity, you wouldn't normally use a bigger one to accept a pumped supply. So maybe the inlet was just for taking in water for washing out - who knows?
Bob Willis
Porter

Post by Bob Willis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm unable to say what each pipe did, the 'RM' letters do say something about a high pressure hot water pipe attaching to the top for a spray ball.
Bob Willis