GWR self contained buffers

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
ejparrott
Cleaner

GWR self contained buffers

Post by ejparrott » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Has anyone got a drawing of a GW self contained buffer, type fitted to a Crocodile?

I've inherited a new bogie driving truck which is already a fair representation of a Crocodile, so I've decided to up the detail a bit more and get it looking closer. It's currently got no rear buffers at all, just a coupling clevis, and the front couplings are arranged as NG sockets for 5" and either side 3.5", which I'll need to retain in some way as I'll also be using it with my 3.5" Hunslet.

So far I've established they were standard 18" long, and the heads varied from 14" to 20", but that's about all!
Jerry Burchell
No rank

Re: GWR self contained buffers

Post by Jerry Burchell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:52 am

Hi!
I have a project on the go (one of severall!!) building a Crocodile H. Have got as far as drawings preparation and a box-full of laser cut parts for the main body. Bogies drawn up ready for cutting and having the axleboxes lost-wax cast in brass.
Axlebox 01.pdf
(209.59 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
I have drawn up the early type of buffer with the square stock and square buffer shank if that's any help. I think Doug has the later Self-Contained buffers?
Here's an image of the drawing;
Buffer Stock.pdf
(89.34 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Best regards! Jerry. :)
ejparrott
Cleaner

Re: GWR self contained buffers

Post by ejparrott » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:56 pm

I should have updated this, I've recieved a drawing via our Facebook page of the round shank self contained buffers, although so far I've only had time to draw it in 2D CAD, I must find the time to draw it in 3D and get a price for printing and lost wax casting by Michael in NZ

My axleboxes aren't correct, but for the time being they'll have to stay as they are. Can't afford to add another project to the list just now!