springs

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
westwales dave
No rank

springs

Post by westwales dave » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi guys
I am about to complete my first 5 " gauge 7 plank scale wagon, I am doing the springs and i am a bit concerned that they may be to strong. I am using Doug Hewson plans and spring steel, I run mainly on my garden track (300ft) which is not the most level in the world and am worried about derailing. Do you use the springs as per plan or do you add a softer spring? I hope that makes sense to you and look forward to any help.
Thanks
Dave
p.s. what sort of weight is normaly run in trucks? ie lead/stone etc
Peter Layfield
Porter

Re: springs

Post by Peter Layfield » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi Dave , are they 5 leaf? and have you followed the hardening and tempering routine?if so they will be fine if the axleboxes are free to slide in
the axleguards, you can fill the wagon with coal and they will only deflect a small amount, but as each box is able to move the wagon can ride
over undulations in the track without derailing.
Dave N. uses a different material for his wagons, Tuffnol, which is equally flexible and gives perhaps a greater degree of stability to the wagon and
load Peter l.
westwales dave
No rank

Post by westwales dave » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Pete
thanks for the reply, yes i am using 5 leaves but not yet tempered them, that will happen this weekend with a bit of luck. Would i be right in guessing that the axle box is not pushed to the bottom of the axle guard when there is no weight on them?
Regards
Dave
Peter Layfield
Porter

Post by Peter Layfield » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi, The box usually sits about halfway down in the axleguards, the springs do not want too much "set" in them, if they are free to move you will
not have any problems. at our rallies the biggest problems we have with wagons, is not the springing but things like coupling hooks or chain links
and buffers, all the standards are on here,
Hope we will see your wagon at one of our events next year, wagon building is very rewarding,
Regards Peter.