17D Wagons.

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
David Girling
Fireman

17D Wagons.

Post by David Girling » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:13 am

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all safe and well.
I just wanted to ask if anybody else had noticed that 17D have taken 5" gauge Wagons out of their Ready-to-roll Price List.
I bought one of their 5" Loriots last year and was very pleased with it and was contemplating getting another wagon in the not too distant future. I am building a LMS Large Cattle Truck to Peter Smallwoods drawings but at the rate it is going I will run out of years before I have a decent rake to pull, lol.

Best regards
David
Scrat
Fat Controller

Re: 17D Wagons.

Post by Scrat » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:52 am

I hope they do not cancel the 5" gauge bogies.
Took ages to deliver, but great value for the money.
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello David at Saracens last time we had 10 cattle wagons mostly NE so could do with some midland /LMS ones
We also had a cattle dock with cow's ready to load.
David Girling
Fireman

Post by David Girling » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:05 am

Hi Ben
Just a quick question :- Do you know where the "scale?" cows were sourced from?

Regards
David
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:46 am

Elizabeth and Graham picked some up at a local cheap shop I know they are still looking to see if they can get some more.
I purchased a bull in tavistock market he's a bit big, how ever being cast he adds some weight to the wagon.
David Girling
Fireman

Post by David Girling » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:50 pm

When I was looking for "scale" Cattle for the Cattle Wagon, I found some resin sculptures of a Bull made by "Leonardo.co.uk" in their "Reflections" range.
They were rather expensive as they are meant to be artistic sculptures in a gold colour but they are very detailed and just need repainting. I purchased two and have yet to repaint them, I guess I am trying to pluck-up the courage, lol. If Elizabeth and Graham do find any suitable, I hope they will let us know via the forum or Turnout so that we can evaluate them ourselves.

Best regards
David
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 am

P1060314.JPG
P1060314.JPG (64.53 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
Printed this last night, obviously some refining of the process required, but still looks quite cow like.
Isn't this a more appropriate use of 3D printing in our scale than doing whole wagons?
Rather than Buttercup, perhaps we should call her Rhododendron.
Dave.
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Great nice one just 20 more to fill the vans we have, Oh and they need to be a more natural colour, how well does your resin take paint?
yes 3d wagons might be ok let get some on the track to evaluate, they will still need some refining all printers print in layers so there will always be some finishing to do , cost is also an issue with printing of larger parts, lets see how they come on over the next few months we mustn't just dismiss new ideas, so long as any new ideas that broad the approach maintain the standard GL5 is famous for.