Brake pin rack

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
Martin Ashley
Porter

Brake pin rack

Post by Martin Ashley » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:01 pm

Steam Workshop (aka Dave Noble/Doug Hewson) supply castings for ratchet style brake rack, but nowhere, NOWHERE, can I find similar casting for the pin style, which is surely the more common. I have been contemplating messing about with brass strip or even investing in CAD and 3D printer. There must be another way! I have engines to fix for next year so I don't want to spend all winter making brake pin racks! Sorry this is probably an elementary question but I am relatively new to this wagon building lark.
Matt Fowles
Fireman

Re: Brake pin rack

Post by Matt Fowles » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:05 pm

Chris at the Yorkshire Wagon Company might do them although they're not listed on the website- worth dropping him a line though.

AP Model Engineering have lots of bits like that as well- the website isn't the best but there's a downloadable price list.
richardw
Engine Driver

Post by richardw » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:14 pm

I would speak to Steam Workshop too, the photo on the website for the pin style shows ratchet but I have had the pin style from Dougs range in the past. Looks like they might have used the GWR/BR photo on the RCH item?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Martin, I don't supply ratchet style brake lever guards, however I should have some laser cut bits for the pin style. You'd need to bend and solder them together, not a difficult job.
Dave Noble.