16 ton Mineral in 3D

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
Mike Jack
Porter

16 ton Mineral in 3D

Post by Mike Jack » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:25 am

I have been practising on my 3D modelling program, Alibre, and thought you all would be interested. This is a great way to see if things fit together before cutting metal!

These are just screen captures and so are not very high resolution. All the rivets are modelled in too, but it slows the computer down too much while working with them in so they are all suppressed and don't show up.
Mike Jack
Auckland, NZ
Frits
Engine Driver

Underframe

Post by Frits » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Hello Mike,

Your frames look absolutly great. :D :D

My TurboCad Pro 8.1 is also a fine instrument to try out the construction of the part I would like to model. As you said, one can find out if things will fit, even before buying the neccesary materials. :wink:

Unfortunaly I'm not familiar with your Alibre, but in TurboCad Pro the program slows down too, if you use too much complicated parts, like bolts with thread.
They advice to use so called "Blocks", which are all vector copies of one stored original within the drawing. It helps to reduce memory space, especially when you use a lot of the same parts.

My way of working in 3D-CAD is, to set up a drawing (1) with the most important measurments. From there I copy a part to a new drawingfile to work it out. (Don't change the reference points)
After finishing the "sub" drawing I check the reference points again in my number 1 drawing by putting back a stripped copy of the "sub".

For instance for an underframe I draw the buffers, wheels, brakes and so seperately in the way discribed above.
Let me show you one of my axlebearings. :)

Lots of succes and keep us posted.

Frits
Build it perfekt, but keep it simpel.
Mike Jack
Porter

Post by Mike Jack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while. No excuse really- I just got out of the habit.

Below is the progress I have made on the mineral wagon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mkrj/3255643154/

Click on this link to see other similar views and a bundle of photos from the Mainline Rally May 2007.

As you're probably aware this is based on Doug's kit which I bought but have still to start. I thought I'd practise on Alibre and find out where any errors might be lurking!
Mike Jack
Auckland, NZ