Waterproofing

Discuss freight and rolling stock here
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Waterproofing

Post by Keith1500 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:52 pm

In general, what is a good method of waterproofing a wagon. My gloucester wagon is paint finish on the outside but i used a stain come varnish on the inside to simulate natural oak. I could go over it in a matt or satin water based varnish. I thought about a spray, perhaps a wax??

My Cable Association wagon has suffered a soaking or two and the paint is looking typical of a well weathered wagon. I quite like the look of it. I have varnished that all over to capture the look. but i would'nt want that to happen to the Somerset Trading wagon (Gloucester one mentioned above).
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

wagon waterproofing

Post by Alan Wood » Wed May 02, 2007 6:29 pm

I have found that a coating of acrylic lacour or varnish seems to protect the paintwork and even more the transfers as they are easily damedged.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:17 pm

Alan yes i have used the waterbased varnish as per Dave N 's instructions when appying transfers. I just didnt want to go over the whole vehicle ( Toad) with a No3 paint brush ! and was reluctant to blast the whole thing with a can of spray! I guess its having the courage.

The way the weather has been lately it might be an idea to get on with it !!
Hope to see you soon... Keith
ps Thanks for taking the itme to post a meaning full reply
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Keith, the waterbased varnish used to apply the transfers needs a coat of spirit based varnish over it to protect it from the rain, otherwise it will slowly dissolve. I airbrushed my wagons on the outside with Precision Paints matt varnish, takes a long time to dry, but it gives the same reflectivity to the whole wagon, which helps.
I have left the insides as bare wood, it seems to me to be weathering quite well. Bear in mind that oak was only used for the underframes or body framing, the sheeting (planking) was almost always some thing much cheaper, deal or somesuch, and if you look at some old weathered wood (uncared for shed for instance) it is more of a silvery grey than brown.
Hope this helps,
Dave.