water slide transfer

Passenger rolling stock forum
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

water slide transfer

Post by Ben Lyons » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:53 pm

does any one have any idea as how to seal these against weather and handling, I have put some on the Pullmams we are building so lots of letters and crest ect. Given the bodies are high gloss finish which looks right I am at a loss. Out door vanish is ok on letters but does not give a good finish seems to leave air bubbles. Has any one just left them is so how do they fair?

Thanks Ben Lyons
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Re: water slide transfer

Post by Eddyg » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi Ben,

My method of finishing is to give the final paint coat a light rub down with very fine wet and dry paper (1200 or 1500 grade) before applying the lining and lettering and transfers which are then coated with an extra clear varnish. Humbrol do one which is much thinner than typical domestic oil based varnishes. Whilst I apply paint by both brush and spray I almost always brush the varnish coat but you need to use a good quality and very clean brush as varnish sets very quickly and needs to be applied and laid off fast. I always have a test piece to practice on before wading into the job proper.

This photo is of the side of my Adams radial which you can see still has good reflective properties even after twelve years service.
Paint finish.jpg
Paint finish.jpg (43.14 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from other members but my way works for me.

Eddie
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks Eddie

Tried water based indoor stuff last night and this morning the small sample look Ok now trying a bigger bit as coach sides are 6 feet long if this works will try coating using spray gun. I have 4 coaches done and 14 more as kits ready to go.

Thanks More help please.
Ben
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Ben,

As you know, I make waterslide transfers, and when I started making them I wanted to try them on something with a large area of smooth white paint on it. I wasn't allowed to use the washing machine, so used my car instead. They weren't varnished or covered in any way, the car was always left outside, and they stayed there for months and months until I scrapped it. They frayed slightly at the edges, so I don't recommend this, but I was very surprised at their durability.

I'm sure the most important thing, whatever you use, is to varnish the whole side, not just a small area of it. If you don't do it all, the variation in reflectivity will eventually show, and you'll wish you had. I cover the whole of my wagons with varnish, and because they are fairly small, I use Humbrol matt aerosol varnish. It works very well.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:28 am

Ben,

You may find this link useful
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127&start=40

Here I used Daves water-slid transfers and sealed them and finished with a spray lacquer

Happy to bring the tank up one Saturday and discuss.

Keith