Interested in a signal building group?

A forum to discuss buildings and signalling
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Re: Interested in a signal building group?

Post by Keith1500 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 am

Dave.

I have sent you an e-mail of an drawing for a miniature LMS signal arm. It should help hopefully.

Keith
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Lost a follow-up post somewhere, but yes I got the bits Dave, thank you. The small glasses were the only dimensions I have although it looks like the Signalling Record Society might have drawings under Accession Number SRS201500318 based on their lists.

Have you got any detail on where the bends for the spectacle plate drive lever? I'm hoping to be at Wootton to ask various questions :-)
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Richard, I've added a drawing to THE LIST for you.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:40 am

So whilst I've tested various components related to controlling the signals via a 2-wire bus, I had to bring the lot together, and at the beginning of the week it all appeared to be going very wrong, with nothing appearing to work as designed. Anyway I ironed out the various issues and the cluttered photo below shows me working toward a fixed design for finalised circuits.

It looks messy because it's all being prototyped, but to explain what you're looking at, the board with lights on is what effectively is the signalbox, this will display the position of the signals and status of communications, it will interface with a lever frame of closing contacts. It has a little white "breadboard" next to it - this represents the lever frame for now for me to send inputs to the 'box!

If you follow the two wires (one white and one yellow), that is the bus and connects to a "Micro" board, in this case powered by a 9Volt battery - it has a voltage regulator and the circuit is similar to what will be in the signals, although hopefully better laid out.

The one concern with the "micro" board was that it is comparatively expensive, so that is connected to another board via another two way bus (in this case controlling two servos) which is a cheaper, but larger board. These have been extensively copied and are available as cheaper "compatible" boards - and this works using exactly the same code as the smaller boards.

Don't worry too much about the wires all over the place, this is just for convenience for me to chop and change as the design firms up. If I had more bits I could have set up the entirety of Middleton box, all the code is written - as during testing, much to my surprise I couldn't get some servos to work, only to realise I was using the wrong inputs - the code was right and I was wrong...
masterslave2.JPG
masterslave2.JPG (38.91 KiB) Viewed 15817 times
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Got the melting pot out yesterday morning and finished some castings.
Box of castings reduced.jpg
Box of castings reduced.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 15764 times
That's all the single balance lever brackets, main spectacle plates and spindle bearings (reamed). The flash isn't as bad as it looks!

I'll add a picture of the balance lever bracket to THE LIST.
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:19 am

Hi Dave Great job. do you what help drilling ect. I'm on with the two brackets plus the post cross arms and upper posts for your Bracket.
Will post some pics latter, spectacle arm are on way from Holland advise to us this Thursday. So looks like parts are coming together.

Ben
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:08 pm

The crank base pattern is with the casters, but this is what the finished thing should look like. Update in THE LIST.
Crank base reduced.jpg
Crank base reduced.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 15739 times
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Post by Alan Wood » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:42 pm

They look great Dave , how are the other parts like the bases doing , have they resolved the heat problem and will it all fit into the base , do you need help with any of these parts .
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:40 am

do you need help with any of these parts?
If anyone likes drilling 1/32 cross holes and turning small shafts, let me know, there are about 44 to make!
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Post by Alan Wood » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am

Sorry I think my Colchester is a bit big for turning the shafts you need , I will quite happily do the cross drilling if it helps ?
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi all

Ive been getting on with sorting my two Bracket signals have tried parts looks OK, so will adjust and final fix. lots of angles to add so B&Q here I come
bracket 2.JPG
bracket 2.JPG (26.97 KiB) Viewed 15682 times
bracket 1.JPG
bracket 1.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 15682 times
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:00 pm

I had another go at replicating the signal pull wire termination.

In this case I have used a small diameter tube to act as a crimp. Then given it a lick of silver solder. cut off the surplus cable then filed away the crimp. then dressed over the joint with fine electrical wire and sealed it with some loctite. incidentally those of you who think it looks good, look again thats the real thing and the little one is the scale version !

As an experiment and without spending too much time on this I simply wound together 7 strands of 0.2mm electrical wire and then terminated it using the correct method. it worked. it could be neater and the length of the joint should be less.

1. I guess that provides a few options to consider. The very easy but not accurate way of simply crimping the cable.
2. The crimp it, soldered it and dress it up method.
3. or make some signal wire and terminated it correctly.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 pm

Good effort Keith. I knew they would be fiddly, that's why I asked for volunteers!

Quick update on things mechanical. I've turned all the caps for the posts. The etchers have just e-mailed to say the remaining arms are in the post. The lost wax casters have let me know that they hope cast the saddles and crank bases this week.
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi all

Picture of spec arms I only need to trim and drill and they are ready to go
Arms.JPG
Arms.JPG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 15583 times
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Ben, I hope they are backblinder arms, and they will need slitting too.
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi Dave Yes wrong name -- silly me !
Lamp bracket sent today plus 2% however maybe not as clean as first one so take your pick I don't think 2% small would notice leave it to you.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 am

Signal meeting and working party at Ben's this Saturday, 6th. What time Ben?
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Post by Eddyg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi Dave,

You'll forgive me for tendering my apologies for not attending Saturday's meeting, it's a long haul from here. Hope it's productive and we can get down to production soon.

Eddie
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Dave

MEETING FROM 9 on

myself, John Catt, Alan wood will be in from around 8-30 Yourself as soon as you can as you have bits, Keith Brunt will be here around 9-0 with
Richard Phillips following on Jonny may not make it but is talking to Richard re power ect.
Eddie we hope to have all but a full set of parts to send you, clearly it far to far for a day out however but we all appreciate your involvement.

Ben
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:34 pm

Anyone had any thoughts about paint schemes? It would appear the posts are mostly white with a black band for the track circuit/block diamond. I've seen grey (possibly galvanised finish?) posts and grey or black lower sections.

The spectacle arm I assumed was black, but I have seen them the same colour as the distant/main arm colour. Balance hardware in grey or black. Ladders? Anyway, is there an official scheme?