Myford rebuild

A forum dedicated to workshop projects
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Myford rebuild

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:58 pm

I was fortunate enough to be given a Myford Super 7 (quite an early model based on the oil feed and clutch arrangement) which was in a very grotty if not particularly worn condition as the factory in which it resided was being closed.

The lathe had been badly repainted so I made the decision to strip completely and repaint from bare metal. I started this job about 3 years ago and left it in primer whilst I got on with other things (like building wagons) and with no power in my shed pretty much left it like that.

With my recent paternity leave I thought time for model engineering would be out altogether, but I decided to brush paint some components at any point I had the opportunity (I would like to have sprayed it but didn't have the facilities, money or time) but the result is starting to come out quite well.

Quite a bit to do still in aligning and setting up, but finally I might actually have my own lathe to play with!
myford.jpg
Myford super 7 lathe rebuild
myford.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 11791 times
tornado60163
Engine Driver

Re: Myford rebuild

Post by tornado60163 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi,
Can you suggest a lathe for me to start modeling as i am only 15.
Thanks
Daniel
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:12 am

I think it's paraphrasing the celebrated Model Engineering writer "LBSC" who suggested "the best you can afford", or it might have been the largest capacity, because a large lathe can do small jobs, but the converse doesn't necessarily hold true.

Having said that I'm a bit intimidated by those Colchester "Student" lathes which were big old lathes that could probably take your arm off without stopping - used commonly in schools which is why they are available on the second-hand market as making anything that might be remotely "risky" in schools no longer seems to happen - ie metalwork.

I much prefer my Dad's Boxford model A/B (a conversion with a screwcutting gearbox) to the Myford, but the Myford (either Super 7 or ML7) is ubiquitous, reliable and available. Pretty much the "standard" model engineering lathe that you can't go wrong with. Hold their value well as a consequence, but most spares are available in the UK, not to be scoffed at if you pick up a second-hand machine that has seen misuse.

I'd recommend spending a while using other lathes if you can get time on them and make the decision carefully by putting money away for when the opportunity arises rather than buying the first one you see. You can do most operations in a lathe, drilling, milling and turning; screwcutting can come later, I don't profess to understand it now.

I did use one of those "toy" desktop lathes, small in capacity but I managed to make a few fittings, would fit in a bedroom and allow you to practice and graduate to a better lathe later, space/money permitting, it's better than nothing, maybe see what is available second-hand, it's not worth buying one new (in my opinion)

One of my best investments for wagon making was a small sensitive drill - combined with a Dremel it does much of what I need for wagon making - I still haven't got back to making my locomotive whilst I'm busy making a train!

Age doesn't make a difference with lathe buying, only the space you have available to put it! If you want to start locomotive making there is plenty of sheet metalwork you can make a start on and borrow lathe time whenever you can at the local ME club or friend with a lathe. I made a lot of progress on a locomotive with just a vise, marking tools a file and hacksaw and doing all turning when I visited my parents house, by which time I had the bar stock and operations planned out ready to make best use of the time available. A lot of time is wasted on jobs just searching for drills, chuck keys, material and sketching out part dimensions.

Remember lathe tooling can be expensive and a lathe without any can be fairly useless! Buying a second hand lathe can be difficult - try and take along an experienced engineer and check the lathe is true - or can be adjusted to make it so, otherwise everything you make may end up tapered.

tornado60163 wrote:Hi,
Can you suggest a lathe for me to start modeling as i am only 15.
Thanks
Daniel
tornado60163
Engine Driver

Post by tornado60163 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi,
Thanks For the Reply on Lathes and Locomotive Building. I will look into some secondhand Lathes on the internet. Do you know if a ''PEATOL MINI LATHE'' is very strong or good enough for locomotive building.
Thanks
Daniel
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

I've heard the name, I looked at http://lathes.co.uk/, not an easy site to navigate but plenty of information on lathes of almost every make (if not model).
Assuming you mean this one:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/taig/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then I suspect you'd become frustrated by that lathes limitations very quickly, particularly it's size or "swing".

I note the sales and wants area of lathes.co.uk - with one "free to collector" item - it's worth just watching to see what comes up and if you can give an item a "home" dependent on space.

tornado60163 wrote:Hi,
Thanks For the Reply on Lathes and Locomotive Building. I will look into some secondhand Lathes on the internet. Do you know if a ''PEATOL MINI LATHE'' is very strong or good enough for locomotive building.
Thanks
Daniel
tornado60163
Engine Driver

Post by tornado60163 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks,
Yeah that was what i was looking at. Will look at that website more.
Thanks For your Help
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am

Getting there slowly. Motor cleaned, painted and re-mounted, spindle knocked out again, bearings washed out because they are oiled and not greased as I packed them. Set bearing pre-load. Drilled the nylon insert we made to replace the fractured original as set up the drip feed. This is a very early Super 7 headstock with different clutch and oiling arrangement.

I've still got to do the setup the cross-slides, shim and align everything - something I'm not looking forward to.
sup7.JPG
sup7.JPG (62.74 KiB) Viewed 11445 times