5" Gauge Manor Overhaul

A forum dedicated to workshop projects
Mike Solloway
Cleaner

5" Gauge Manor Overhaul

Post by Mike Solloway » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:25 pm

I recently purchased this 5" gauge Manor, built to a lovely standard, differing from the well known design by Martin Evans by having a scale boiler, correct profile frames with front extensions as per prototype etc. Winning a silver medal at an exhibition in the late 80's the engine was intensively run until early 90's, also winning a 'Heavy Haulage' competition on the way, somehow hauling 28 people non stop for 1 mile (3 laps of Bristol Society of Model Engineers track) I couldn't quite believe it until I saw the certificate! Left unused for 17 years until I steamed it a couple of months ago it is fair to say that given the high level of wear she ran lovely, bit of citric acid in the injectors was all that was required for a couple of hours hassle free steaming after all those years sat idle, magic!

I intend to use the engine at GL5 events towards the end of next year if all goes well and have now started stripping it down for a thorough overhaul, every single pin and bush is worn, the eccentrics shot and the rear axle boxes are 'interesting' I may post a picture of them at some point just for the amusement factor. The tender leaf springs require re-tempering, the cross heads re-metalling, new piston rings, a tyre re-profile, new die blocks, updating of backhead fittings, new reverser screw (current one is the wrong hand!) a vacuum pump, completion of the vac brake system etc. the list goes on! The paint was tired, looks better in the pics than reality, heavily blistered and the lining worn away in many places etc. so a repaint is on the cards too, along with a nice new gauge frame and brake valve, a safety valve bonnet of the correct proportions and bogie wheels with the correct pattern of spokes. Enough to keep me out of trouble well beyond the winter anyway! Will add further pics as the overhaul progresses if there is interest to see them. Wouldn't be complete from my point of view without a renaming to 7820 'Dinmore Manor' so the plates are on order :D

Cheers,

Mike

Keith1500
Fat Controller

Re: 5" Gauge Manor Overhaul

Post by Keith1500 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Mike,

Sounds like an interesting project. I would suggest capturing loads of photos. Perhaps set up a flickr photo site where you can post the photos along with a reasonable explanation of what’s going on. Of course keep us up-todate on here and perhaps write an article or two on specific bits or problems for the club magazine Turnout.

Keith
MichaelTopham
Engine Driver

Post by MichaelTopham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 pm

A very interesting report Mike and good to see the workshop area of the Forum being used just as it was designed to be. Thanks to your good self, Peter Robinson (http://www.petersplates.co.uk) and I crawled all over 7812 at the Severn Valley last week, so I thought a few people would appreciate seeing a few shots of the real thing to compare it against yours.

If there are any other GWR model engineers out there who are in the process of running, or building a 5'' gauge Manor, please do get in contact if you'd like a copy of detailed reference shots. I'd be able to supply a CD with no problem.

I plan too add some more in the future.

Cheers, Mike
IMG_9590.jpg
IMG_9590.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9598.jpg
IMG_9598.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9610.jpg
IMG_9610.jpg (65.14 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
MichaelTopham
Engine Driver

Post by MichaelTopham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:40 pm

IMG_9613.jpg
IMG_9613.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9622.jpg
IMG_9622.jpg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9638.jpg
IMG_9638.jpg (74.49 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
MichaelTopham
Engine Driver

Post by MichaelTopham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:43 pm

IMG_9674.jpg
IMG_9674.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9670.jpg
IMG_9670.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9678.jpg
IMG_9678.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
MichaelTopham
Engine Driver

Post by MichaelTopham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:51 pm

IMG_9684.jpg
IMG_9684.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
IMG_9687.jpg
IMG_9687.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 55615 times
Mike Solloway
Cleaner

Post by Mike Solloway » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Not long after making my last post on here another engine came my way at a sensible price, considering the level of work required to the Manor to get it back in tip top condition, and with the modifications I would like to make to it, the Manor has been set to one side for a couple of months whilst a quick re-paint and light 'bottom end overhaul' take place to the new engine. Much of this work is now done, so work on the Manor shall resume shortly. The new purchase is a 32XX, I have only ever seen one other in 5" gauge which was one of the main reasons for purchasing it, the second reason was that it would be a much quicker job than the Manor thus giving me a GW engine to enjoy alongside the O2 this coming season.

Couple of pics of the 32 below:

As purchased, a little worn, engine and tender two different shades of green applied with a 3" brush, in need of a 'freshen up'

The cab as purchased, regulator seized in open position, horrid horrid horrid fittings!! The red line on the pressure gauge, don't ask, it will have pulled well at that pressure though! The regulator is now freed off, the manifold modified to take GW type fittings, the blower valve is now in the correct location on the backhead and a new more scale like regulator handle that will be in the right position when 'shut', rather than vertical as current, is under construction.

The coupling rod bearings were somewhat worn....

The knuckle joints in particular were very heavily worn, upon dismantling the reason soon became clear, there was no bearing within the joint, just running steel to steel... The worn holes in the rods were reamed out and a bronze bush made and pressed into the inner part of the joint, a new pin was then made to suit as a press fit into the outer section of the knuckle. One of the old pins is in the middle of the photo where a ridge can be seen where the wear has taken place.

Completed new bearing and knuckle joint.

The tender has now been repainted into BR green, just awaiting painting of the buffer beam and the application of a nice big early crest!

As things stand at the moment (poor picture, sorry!) New cabside plates are on order, the present ones make no attempt at replicating the distinctive GW plates. Boiler is awaiting hydraulic test this weekend then hopefully I should be able to re-fit cladding, paint, plumb up new cab fittings and throw a fire in it, well, that is the plan anyway........!

The only other work that has taken place on the Manor was to have nearly completed the eccentric straps and to drop the boiler back in the frames to save space as the loco rack was a little full. If I can get the 32 finished before the end of March then it will give me 4-5 months to really press on with the Manor to see if I can complete it in time for Gilling at the end of August, I find it easier to press on in the warmer/lighter months when popping into the workshop seems a little more inviting than on a dark cold winter evening when it is all too easy to end up watching tv.......!

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Solloway
Cleaner

Post by Mike Solloway » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 pm

A little bit of progress over the last fortnight, only 3 weeks to go now before the engine is supposed to be complete and running down in Kent............ Eeeeeeek!

Boiler passed hydraulic test with flying colours last weekend.

The new cabside number plates etched by a friend who does such things, proper job!

As things stand this evening, working on the backhead and new pipework. Unfortunately I have just run out of 5/32 pipe so can't make the injector steam pipes until I have obtained some more tomorrow. The R/H pipe was just a test/bodge with the last piece I had which obviously is too short just to see if the bends look right.

Time is running out, lots to be done, need to get cracking!!!