Can anyone tell me which type that is?

Best regards

Holger
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Re: Lamps?

Post by Eddyg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Holger,

You have a standard BR tail lamp, used on both passenger and freight trains like this one. It has a red lens.
Tail lamp 1.JPG
Tail lamp 1.JPG (45.98 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
Tail lamp 2.jpg
Tail lamp 2.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
Sorry the photos are sideways - I couldn't get them to load vertical

Regards

Eddie
Scrat
Fat Controller

Post by Scrat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi Eddie,

thanks for the info. I am thinking about fitting one to my "toad". Would that be correct?

My purpose-built riding car (articulated set of three) will also be equipped.
Where do I mount these lamps on the toad?

Found this picture on the net. The wagon is quite similar to mine. Looks like half height to me. Is that correct?

Are the black spots on you lamp holes, lenses or something different? Are two tail lamps required or just one?

Best regards

Holger
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Post by Eddyg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Holger,

One lamp only of this type on any train. There were exceptions but not circumstances that you would be likely to encounter. Goods brakes also ran with side lamps. These had white lenses facing forward and red to the rear but the codes for their use was complicated.

The lamp you show on the coach is actually a loco head lamp - BR Eastern Region type. The had a red shade for use on the rear of the locomotive when running light, i.e. without a train, but I suppose they could be used on a train if circumstances warranted.

The black 'dots' on the tail lamps are are actually clear glass. These allow the light to be seen from the side as an aid to checking that the lamp is lit.

Hope that's 'enlightening'

Best regards

Eddie
Scrat
Fat Controller

Post by Scrat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Eddie,

that´s interesting. In Germany there are usually two tail lamps.
I have 4 lamps of this type, so one for the articulated set.
Is there any rule where to put it e.g. left or right, which height,...?
I am not sure yet if I use a red LED and leave the side holes or use a white LED, red lens and drill the side holes. I might opt for the red LED as the holes are quite small and the white LEDs do not emit much light sideways, so this would hardly be visible.
I have found a picture on the net showing a Toad with the lamp bracket attached just a bit above the buffer beam on both ends end. I guess I will copy this one.
Where would you store spare lamps on a Toad?

Best regards

Holger
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Post by Eddyg » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Holger,

The tail lamp could be anywhere. Most passenger trains had the lamp brackets at about half height, one either side of the corridor connection. Goods brakes more often than not had the bracket towards the top of the veranda on the centre line, sometimes one each side but near the middle. This allowed the guard to just lean over the veranda rail to attend to the lamp. Vacuum braked wagons often had a brackets over one of the buffers, more commonly the left one, but sometimes both. Otherwise no rules that I'm aware of. The shunter would just put the lamp on the nearest bracket that he could reach. On locos there was a custom that the lamp was put on the driver's side, which I guess was just so the driver could see the fireman when he was attending to the lamp.

Can't answer you on spare lamps. I don't think they were often carried. The standard oil lamp would burn for days on a filling, and they were in plentiful supply - every station & goods yard would have lamps in the stores.
The BR Mark 1 brake vans had a metal box in the floor of the guard's compartment that was big enough to hold a lamp, but I don't recall having seen a lamp in one - it's not something you would take much notice of.

Regards

Eddie
Scrat
Fat Controller

Post by Scrat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Eddie,

many thanks for the info. This was very helpful to me. Today I fitted my articulated set and the toad with tail lamps. Will post pictures as soon as I find that camera.

Best regards

Holger