Painting a Smoke Box

A forum dedicated to workshop projects
Andy G
Engine Driver

Painting a Smoke Box

Post by Andy G » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi again folks,
I am going to strip the old paint off of my brass smoke box, any suggestions ?
A, wire disk wheel in electric drill.
B, Fine shot blast material in air gun.
C, Chemical paint stripper and elbow grease.

Having stripped the box back to brass, what is the best sequence and materials to use?
Is there a heat resisting etching primer I need to use, possibly followed by a barbeque paint, then is there some brand of gloss black that I can put on, that will withstand the heat?
The box had been gloss black painted prior to me getting the engine,on top of a grey primer. But the gloss was separating from the primer and coming off in flakes that could be flicked off with a finger nail.
Thanks for any comments...

Cheers.
Andy G.
Jim 70036
Porter

Re: Painting a Smoke Box

Post by Jim 70036 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Andy,
Having had the paint blister and peel off my 3" Burrell SCC's chimney ( red oxide primer with a top coat of Hi Temp Engine spray enamel) I was advised by a member of our club who'd worked in the paint industry, to forget the primer which was the cause of the blistering and just spray the Hi Temp Engine enamel directly onto the metal.
I did just that and have had a nice glossy black chimney ever since with no sign of burning or blistering. Of course I'd already sprayed Boadicea's smoke box with red oxide primer which had to be stripped, cleaned and re sprayed with engine enamel directly onto the metal. However based on the success with the Burrell's chimney I feel pretty sure all will be well with the smoke box......when I eventually get into steam that is.

Jim
Ballan Baker
Engine Driver

Post by Ballan Baker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Andy, go for B Its the only way to clean the old off. The latest paintstripper wont look at it as the green party have managed to ruin that as well. I would suggest Jim is right. Best of luck Regards Ballan.
Andy G
Engine Driver

Post by Andy G » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to reply fellas.
I will take your advice and get cracked on.
Jim, Boadicea looks great and the write ups are brilliant.
Ballan, see you at Shildon mate.
Best Wishes
Andy G.
Andy G
Engine Driver

Post by Andy G » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi again Guy's,
Just an update on the smoke box re-paint.
Thanks for you suggestions, I chose to use my drill and wire disk wheel, (sorry Ballan), it was just so handy.
I then (as you both suggested ) painted gloss engine laquer directly onto the brass smoke box and steel rings and door.
I ran the engine last weekend and two days this weekend gone, and the result was a complete success.
No problem at all, after the run the engine was cleaned with WD40 and the paint finish is just like new.
Many thanks again to you both, nice to see you again at Shildon Ballan, a great weekend.
Best Wishes,
Andy G.