joint venture

A forum dedicated to workshop projects
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

joint venture

Post by Alan Wood » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi ,i hope you have all had a good christmas and wishing you all a happy new year, but back to the subject in question , It has been suggested that unlike other model organizations we DO NOT offer any kind of joint ventures , So we have thought about this and will put this article in the next TURNOUT but we would like ideas from you the membership if as to that we try and bulk buy,We have considered wheels as there are only a couple of sizes that most people use and if we made a bulk order we could probably get a good deal on the price , but do any of you have any other ideas on any items that we as a club could get a bulk deal on please let me know or put it about among your friends to see if they have any ideas, then the most popular ideas will be looked into and priced up to see what deal we can get.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Re: joint venture

Post by Dave Noble » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Most of the owners of the track which was used at Shildon last year are upgrading it by putting it on boards. They will all need track gauges.

At least one of them is interested in building turnouts, so will need machined switch, stock, point, splice and check rails, and tie bars. If the club has a stock of these parts, and rail, then perhaps the turnouts used last year can be binned and replaced with something a bit better.
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Post by Alan Wood » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi Dave , take your point but i cant see that we can get these built in the time we have as were only just getting started on the track.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:39 am

Buffers are fairly standard and common, I guess anything that could be CNC turned that most model engineers don't have in their workshop. More complex assemblies like screw couplings which are expensive (although there is a fair amount of work involved, so don't know how economy could be acheived commercially). When I went shopping for CNC wheels I didn't find a great deal of interest or enthusiasm, at least not at a price I considered acceptable for a properly turn face and back, although I was only looking for 60 at the time.
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 am

I think this is the way forward I am sure many new comes to GL5 miss what the smaller scales do for there members, there are only a few suppliers to GL5 and some parts are not that cheap, CNC and laser cutting if done in enough is fairly cheap I had 200 Pullman carriage wheels turned face and back 4 holes and full tread including material for £14 each (I have a few spare).
Laser cutting on things like v hangers an irons should be a few pence each if cut from 1mm steel.
On a bigger note Brent and I have thought a rack of Preflow wagon would be good the old airfix thing in bright yellow ( blue circle cement) under frame a bit of a bugger but If enough interest again laser cut.
How about some carriages I have cast fairly large parts in resins so panelled stock could be done.
I am about to get 100 buffer faces costed 18 inch dia machined front and back with flat top LNER/Pullman note sure what else, from Stainless, Shout now as cost come down on bigger numbers.
Scrat
Fat Controller

Post by Scrat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:41 pm

A friend of mine has done some drawings for V irons and other small parts. the idea was to build some "budget" 5 plank wagons. All visible details in place, all invisible details left out, simple springs for buffers and some other light modifications that do not spoil the model. Due to other projects, even the laser cutting has never happened.
If the opportunity for a batch order comes up, I will also take a few sets.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm

"Laser cutting on things like v hangers an irons should be a few pence each if cut from 1mm steel.
On a bigger note Brent and I have thought a rack of Preflow wagon would be good the old airfix thing in bright yellow ( blue circle cement) under frame a bit of a bugger but If enough interest again laser cut."

The presflows, to detail properly, would be one of the most complicated wagons I could think of! Wouldn't mind doing one. one day, too much on the go at the moment. Buffers sound interesting, but that's carriage stock, I need some wagon buffers at the moment plus a few sets of wheels.

Having just checked I could be in the market for 1 set (4 off) of LNER 1-6" clipped buffers (ideally with a slot, but that could be added) - dependent on cost (future project!), looks like 3 1/2" diameter rod on the drawing, I'm estimating the rod was about 3'-10" -ish long?
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Just thought I would add I had V hangers done in 2mm steel for 40 pence each I have seen them at over £4 a pair so its worth get some ideas on what might be done the whole of my Pullman floor pan came to less than £150-00 for the steel bits. Bogies wheels exc extra.

Drawing went off for costs on the buffers today so will advise if these are a go, this will give some idea as well on wagon buffer costs (faces and shafts at least.)

Re Dave thought on turnouts any takers-- as I could with help may do something. Perhaps not for Shildon as into track panels a present.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 pm

"LNER 1-6" clipped buffers (ideally with a slot, but that could be added) - dependent on cost (future project!), looks like 3 1/2" diameter rod on the drawing, I'm estimating the rod was about 3'-10" -ish long?"

From my drawings, it appears that the buffers on LNER gangwayed stock were 3'-11" long (pretty damned close) but with only 3" spindles (3 1/2" on non-gangwayed stock), though perhaps this changed with time. The inner 1' - 6 3/8" was 2" square, slotted as you say for the split cotter. Don't forget the cutout in the back of the buffer head to take the saddle, and the keyway along the bottom to stop it rotating.

"the idea was to build some "budget" 5 plank wagons. Visible details in place, all invisible details left out, simple springs for buffers and some other light modifications that do not spoil the model."

These have been available for years, but sales were so slow that I took them out of my last catalogue. Axleguards, V hangers, buffer trimmers, brackets for brake gear, drawhooks etc all on one fold up plate for £20.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Dave Noble wrote:From my drawings, it appears that the buffers on LNER gangwayed stock were 3'-11" long (pretty damned close) but with only 3" spindles (3 1/2" on non-gangwayed stock), though perhaps this changed with time. The inner 1' - 6 3/8" was 2" square, slotted as you say for the split cotter. Don't forget the cutout in the back of the buffer head to take the saddle, and the keyway along the bottom to stop it rotating.
I can't quite work out from my drawing, in this case it's non-passenger but is 3 1/2" shank. I estimated the 3' 10" dimension by quickly adding up all the minor dimensions eg 1 1/2" keyway 1" from the end with a 13/16" thick rebound washer (plus 1/2" plate) 1'-4 1/2" buffer spring made of 10 Spencer's No 331 etc. It would appear the rod changes diameter at about the point of the top web of the buffer stock and then changes again after the "end cap" of the buffer spring - unless this is the "saddle", and what is shown is the keyway on the drawing.
Dave Noble wrote: "the idea was to build some "budget" 5 plank wagons. Visible details in place, all invisible details left out, simple springs for buffers and some other light modifications that do not spoil the model."

These have been available for years, but sales were so slow that I took them out of my last catalogue. Axleguards, V hangers, buffer trimmers, brackets for brake gear, drawhooks etc all on one fold up plate for £20.
A chap in my previous ME soc. did some bits and bobs for underframes, crown/wing plates(?) and pushrods etc. I wish I'd got some as I need some to go with a fold down chassis I have! Parts are about but I haven't seen a new 7 plank 9' chassis in a while. Not the most exciting wagon, but probably found just about everywhere on the British network. I bought a load of spring underframe brackets off of Alan Wood a long time ago but have run out now. I suppose I should make my own!
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi Richard have sent you some pics and hand drawing of Pullman buffers. mostly ties in with Dave sizes give above.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 pm

On the subject of parts for a joint adventure....

I would say there are probably more than enough 5 plank wagons running to fulfill the needs of any GL5 Rally.
What crops up as a shortage is braked wagons. I for one would be happy to build something like a BR Vacuum braked van/closed wagon (not fish!). Corrugated ends are quite appealing but even basic plywood van would good. Look at any BR steam hauled freight and these van are in abundance, as is the case that at least four vehicles would have been braked/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/5602291273/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also on my fancy to build list are, as previously mention, The yellow cement wagon.