NEW MEMBER OF GL5!!!

Say hello and introduce yourself if you are a new member
tornado60163
Engine Driver

NEW MEMBER OF GL5!!!

Post by tornado60163 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 am

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member from tyne and wear near newcastle. I am interested in building a Y4 but i am only 15 so could some body give me some much needed help.
Thanks
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Re: NEW MEMBER OF GL5!!!

Post by Eddyg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi tornado,

I'm sure you have come to the right place if you are intending to build the Y4, as there are a number of these owned by members of GL5, not least the designer, who will all be able to help with specific problems once you get into your project. It is important, however, that you join a local club so that you have access to boiler testing, certification and insurance, two services that GL5 do not provide, but which are necessary once you come to run your locomotive in a few years time.

There are a number of model engineering societies in your area where you will be able to get these and support and advice. The only one with ground level 5" gauge is the Tyneside Society of Model & Experimental Engineeers based at Exhibition Park in Newcastle and there are many experienced model locomotive builders in the organisation who will be pleased to offer help and encouragement.

Take a look at their website http://www.tsmee.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and if you like what you see there is a contact for the secretary who I am sure will be pleased to hear from you.

I do hope that you realize what you are letting yourself in for when you embark on the long road of building your own steam locomotive. I began my first loco when I was just a few years older than you, after being involved with model boats for a number of years. Now more than 40 years on and several locos later, I am still building and have never regretted a moment of the joys and frustrations of my interest. Without the help and advice of my fellow club members I suspect that I might just have fallen by the wayside in those early years. I hope you can follow a similar path to mine and thereby help sustain our hobby a long way into the twenty first century.

GL5 opened a new and exciting dimension to the hobby, taking it beyond just running in circles and it's good to see another young enthusiast starting in the right place. Good luck,

Regards

Eddie
tornado60163
Engine Driver

Post by tornado60163 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi Eddie,
I have joined the city of sunderland model engineers as i live nearer to there the only disadvantage is that it is raised track. I did the driver training day in april. Do you remember me
Thanks
Daniel
Eddyg
Fat Controller

Post by Eddyg » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:00 am

Hello again Daniel,

Pleased you've sorted out a club. I've been a member at Sunderland for more than 40 years, but having been heavily involved with the development of the ground level at Newcastle over the last few years I have made TSMEE my home club now.

Keep in touch with this forum and let us know how your locomotive building progresses. Some one will be able to help you with the problems that will inevitably arise, except perhaps with the funds to buy the bits!! For that you will have to apply to the 'Bank of Dad'. Hope he knows.

Regards

Eddie
tornado60163
Engine Driver

Post by tornado60163 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi Eddie,
Do you ever come down to sunderland anymore
Thanks
Dan