Say hello and introduce yourself if you are a new member
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Hello Ive just joined gl5, my name is Garry nick name noggin,from cheltenham,Ive been building models for years,sold most of em the pay off my sons uni fees,but i am nearing completion or a GWR manor highly detailed, but a while ago i managed to buy a part built MSWJR 2 4 0, this has taken priority as this is a railway that i am fond of,(check out swindons other railway on google)im also very fond of scale rolling stock but there is not enough hours in the day, anyway hope to meet some of you at a rally or show happy steaming.Noggin
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Re: Newbie

Post by Richard Phillips » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am

Hello and welcome. I moved from S&D country to Swindon, so am interested in the lines that criss-cross the area. Fragments of the Swindon and Cricklade survive and it's easy to see where that went. Was the Great Western Way road a part of a railway trackbed? There's a line that passes near to me and an embankment which has been cut near the Nationwide building - I'd be interested to know the original route if you know of a website that might have some information I can look at I'd be interested. It's the line that crosses the Wilts and Berks canal, which is having a new section dug.
noggin
Cleaner

Post by noggin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Richard, Check out( swindons other railway) that site is dedicated to the mswjr and there are maps and photos on it showing where the railway was and what is left now hope this helps, noggin. :D
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 am

Once you mentioned what the line was called it lead to a few internet links. There's one of the station sites close to me, which I'll have to walk over to at some point. It's surprising how well hidden some railways are in the landscape, I had a look over the bridges where the trackbed passes under the road, and I suspect many people don't even know it is there let alone the path's history. I wonder how long it will take for the Swindon and Cricklade to reach Mouldon Hill?