Hello fom Australia

Say hello and introduce yourself if you are a new member
Jim 70036
Porter

Hello fom Australia

Post by Jim 70036 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:17 pm

I have lived in Canberra, the national capital form many years and where I'm currently building a 5"gauge model of 70036 'Boadicea'. I'm a member of the Orange Model Engineers Soc. a 5" gauge club with members interested in predominantly scale New South Wales rolling stock and locomotives.
I managed a visit to Gilling a couple of years back on what turned out to be a maintenance day. The very warm and friendly welcome I received made the day a very memorable one for me.
Thanks for accepting my membership.

Jim.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Re: Hello fom Australia

Post by Richard Phillips » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 am

Following your Brit build on MECH, I'm slowly putting together a modelworks Brit, not sure when that will be finished, I hoped I'd have completed it 3 years ago! A few more months and I might have all the wheels on.
Keith1500
Fat Controller

Post by Keith1500 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I too have been following your build on that site.

The methods you have shown on that site have been very intertsing. Myself and Richard have done simular things on here with our wagon builds and Just as a suggestion perhaps you would like to place a few photos on here?

Happy New year you and all my GL5 collegues.

Keith
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Jim,

I'm about to make vacuum pipe blanking/connectors for the tender and loco bufferbeams, but I don't have any drawings for these. Can I ask what size stock did you use for the twisted bracket? How far down does it go? I imagine it would be fairly standard. I saw a photo that you put up a of this a while ago on the MECH forum, I think it was about making vacuum pipes. I'm hoping to get my tender chassis finished off.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:34 pm

At the risk of answering my own question, I do have this drawing in my own collection of files, thanks to Paul. Long bracket dimension 1' 6 1/2"
SL-DE-20552sm.jpg
bracket for vacuum pipe dummy coupling
SL-DE-20552sm.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 10694 times
Jim 70036
Porter

Post by Jim 70036 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:06 am

First my apologies to all for being so tardy in replying.
Thank you Richard for answering your own question because it reveals details I had no idea existed. I made my bracket based on a photo in the FrazerKerr collection and guessing the dimensions by comparing the bracket I was trying to make with the one in the photo. I hadn't realized until I saw your diagram that there was also a bend to the side on the end of the bracket where the securing blank was attached.
I should confess too that if you haven't already spotted it I put a left hand twist in the bracket on the front buffer beam instead of a right hand one, I thinks it's called Sod's law. :oops:
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Post by Richard Phillips » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Jim 70036 wrote:I should confess too that if you haven't already spotted it I put a left hand twist in the bracket on the front buffer beam instead of a right hand one, I thinks it's called Sod's law. :oops:
Well if it makes you feel any better, so did I, and I had the drawing in front of me!