Mounsell passenger brake van c

Passenger rolling stock forum
Andy G
Engine Driver

Mounsell passenger brake van c

Post by Andy G » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Folks,
does anybody know where I can get any modeler's drawing's of a mounsell passenger brake van c.
I would like to build one as a driving truck.
I think I have spotted one on "you tube" at one of the Gilling main line rallies.
I think the same model on "you tube " also appears in the Turnout magazine (No. 58, December 2012, page 18), it is painted green with a white roof. Would anybody recognise it, would it's owner be good enough to contact me please?
Any assistance in tracking down any drawings, sources of materials, or such like would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Best Wishes
Andy G.
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Re: Mounsell passenger brake van c

Post by Alan Wood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:29 am

Hi andy ,Do you mean the 4 wheel southern parcels van ,if so i have several books with info and drawrings and a 5 inch scaled up drawring.
Andy G
Engine Driver

Post by Andy G » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply.
The one I am looking for is the four wheel type.
Hornby do a oo gauge model of it, under the description of...
Mounsell passenger brake van c (and have a catalogue,product code of ''R4340C'').
Cheers,
Andy G.
Alan Wood
Fat Controller

Post by Alan Wood » Sat May 18, 2013 1:14 pm

there is a small book called southern railway passenger brake vans i have a copy some where if you give me an email adress and ill see if i can send you some details , hope the 1500 behaving itself now , If you dont want to use this site you can contact me direct on A6APW@BTINTERNET.COM
Andy G
Engine Driver

Post by Andy G » Thu May 23, 2013 12:42 am

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the information.
I have ''hopefully'' private messaged you with my contact detail's.
Cheers.
Andy G.
hudrail
Cleaner

Post by hudrail » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Dear All
NEVER I REPEAT NEVER scale up from a model like a double oo . You will end up with a result that is so wrong ! For example the class 31 diesel which is far too narrow and too high . When asked the designer said he scaled up a OO model . I asked had he seen a full size one , a photo or a drawing that are in numerous books he stated NO . Thats why the world is populated by rubbish class 31`s ASK any of us where to obtain drawings or photo`s we will help all we can . Now where is that aero engine propelled laundry basket , or sledge ? Don`t know ! well it is in the Prague Technical Museum Go Find
Brent
Andy G
Engine Driver

Post by Andy G » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks Brent for that input.
I too, would have taken it for granted that a model produced by a quality manufacturer, would have been true to scale.
Cheers
Andy G.
Dave Noble
Fat Controller

Post by Dave Noble » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Brent is dead right. Try as we might, we all compromise somewhere in building a model. So, if you scale up from a model, you are starting from someone else's compromise. If you scale up from a 4mm scale model, any error is multiplied by almost 7 times.
Many small models are injection moulded, and although some can be very very good, there are things which you can't reproduce that way, or can't reproduce to scale. Unless you know what these things are, and how they've been dealt with on a particular model, you could be building something which isn't at all what you hoped it would be.
gordon
Cleaner

Post by gordon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 am

Ever so slightly off topic but a friend of mine near San Francisco built one in 7.5" gauge (and I do mean seven and a half as it is a US West Coast railway)from the photos in the Southern Railway book that Alan mentioned with details added from photos that I took for hm of one that is on the Isle of Wight railway. He uses the coach to carry propane cylinders for the fire on his SR Schools Class. Many locos in the US run on propane rather than coal (or oil) BTW. So it can be done by scaling up from photos even without detailed drawings.