Southern Queen Mary Brake Van

Passenger rolling stock forum
Jerry Burchell
No rank

Southern Queen Mary Brake Van

Post by Jerry Burchell » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:34 am

Hi All!
As one of several projects on the go, I have drawn up a QM Brake Van (The second batch - purpose built). I have the elevations and plan completed, and the bogie design also completed. I could do with a diagram of the main underframe as I want to get that as correct as I can rather than guessing. Can anyone help?

Also, having a decent 3D printer and 3D CAD software, I am considering 3d-printing body parts for the miniature. The underframe etc will be steel of course!! Has anyone any experience in this?

Many thanks for taking a look and best regards, Jerry.
Richard Phillips
Fat Controller

Re: Southern Queen Mary Brake Van

Post by Richard Phillips » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:59 pm

The HRMS has a few outline drawings, the only one with a sectional part of the underframe I could find quickly was this one http://www.hmrs.org.uk/drawings/images/1200px/14581.gif (Drawing E.25675) which may indicate other drawing numbers you can search for. The diagram books sometimes list the GA number
Ben Lyons
Fat Controller

Post by Ben Lyons » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:51 am

Jerry

As to 3d printing. I used this to make the masters for the vestibule ends on my Pullman cars these were done in resin lightly rubbed down then primed before being used to make silicone moulds I have used 3d printed parts of roof vents and lots of other parts so yes it can be done.
If you are using FDM then watch the layer build try and minims the stepping. here at work we have built very large items by bonding max build size items to create 1/2m cube air flow ducts.
If you want to call find my details in front of turnout.
Ben
Jerry Burchell
No rank

Post by Jerry Burchell » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Gents,
Thanks for the replies; all very encouraging so on with the project!
Best regards, Jerry :)